National Nutrition Month: Fuel for the Future & Eating with SustainabilityBy: Christine Bean
March is National Nutrition month, which stresses the importance of a balanced diet, bringing awareness around healthy eating habits, and making informed food choices.
“This year’s theme is “Fuel for the Future.” Eating with sustainability in mind is a tasty way to nourish ourselves during every phase of life and protect the environment. A Registered Dietitian Nutritionist can help you create healthy habits that are sustainable and celebrate your unique needs.”– eatright.org | Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
At MightyMeals, we encourage our customers to eat fresh, nutritious meals that are dietitian approved! A Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN), like the ones at VIDA Fitness, can help you create healthy habits that are sustainable and celebrate your unique needs.
Here are the 2023 important weekly messages for National Nutrition Month from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Week 1: Eat with the environment in mind.
- Enjoy more plant-based meals and snacks.
- Purchase foods with minimal packaging.
- Buy foods in season and shop locally when possible.
- Start a container or backyard garden to grow food at home.
Week 2: See a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN).
- Ask your doctor for a referral to an RDN.
- Find an RDN who specializes in your unique needs.
- Learn how nutrient needs may change with age.
- Receive personalized nutrition information to meet your health goals.
Week 3: Stay nourished and save money.
- Plan your meals and snacks.
- See what food you have at home before purchasing more.
- Use a grocery list and shop sales when purchasing food.
- Learn about community resources such as SNAP, WIC and local food banks.
Find more ways to save money on healthy foods from MightyMeals:
Week 4: Eat a variety of foods from all food groups.
- Include your favorite cultural foods and traditions.
- Eat foods in various forms including fresh, frozen, canned, and dried.
- Avoid fad diets that promote unnecessary restrictions.
- Practice gratitude for your body by giving it the fuel it needs.
Week 5: Make tasty foods at home.
- Learn cooking and meal preparation skills.
- Try new flavors and foods from around the world.
- Find creative ways to use leftovers rather than tossing them.
- Create happy memories by eating with friends and family when possible.
We hope you enjoy celebrating National Nutrition Month throughout the next few weeks! Be sure to eat with intention, enjoying each of the different flavors, aromas, textures, and variety on your plate. If you have questions and/or would like to meet with a VIDA dietitian, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the nutrition department at firstname.lastname@example.org.